Letter Writing Format Tips in English
Letter Writing Format: Writing an effective letter is an art that everyone can try and write a good letter. Nowadays, although telephone, fax, e-mail, social media and other platforms have replaced personal (informal) letters.
Formal letters are still in circulation at the main site. Commerce, trade, official correspondence, public representation, bank, complaints and other dealings, transactions and communication with people are still conducted through letters.
Therefore, it is very important to try the art and skill of letters writing. The letter should always use simple and effective language, so that the person receiving the letter can understand the feelings.
Types of Letter Writing Format
Different types of letters are written for different conferences. Some types of letters are included below.
- Business letters: Business Letters are written between one company to another or between such organization and their customers or other external parties for much purpose like making enquiries/asking information, replying to enquiries/giving information, place order and sending replies, cancelling orders, registering complaints etc.
- Official letters: Official letters are written to inform offices, branches, subordinates for much purpose such as official complaint inquiries, requests / appeals, application forms, events, rules, regulations and procedures or other information.
- Letters to the editor: A letter to the editor is written primarily to be published on a magazines and newspapers. Generally it’s highlighted social issues, political and economic interest (suggestions on issue of public interest and expressing views on an issue already raised in an article/write-up/ in a published letter).
- Letters of job application: A job letter has two types. One is a covering letter and the other is a bio-data. Covering letter is written to discus on qualities and aptitude. Job letter include seeker as well as personal data such as name, address, qualifications and experiences.Bio-data mention to person experiences and achievements. It should be characteristic of all personal details in a specified format like qualifications, experience and references.
While Writing the Letter eight things Must be Written
- Sender’s address
- Receiver’s name/designation and address
- Subject of the letter
- Body of the letter
- Complementary close
- Name/designation of the sender
Marks Distribution for Letter Writing Format
Letter writing is comes from grammar portion in examination, in which total 6 marks will be awarded. Want to secure full marks in the exam, write attractive and creative in the presentation of ideas and be careful not to exceed 120-150 words.
- Format: 1 mark (Sender’s address, Date, Receiver’s name/designation and address, Subject of the letter, Salutation, Complementary close, Name/designation of the sender).
- Content: 3 marks (Introduction, main content and conclusion).
- Expression:2 marks (Grammatical accuracy, appropriate words, spellings Coherence and relevance of ideas and style).
Tips for Letter Writing Format
To write a professional and attractive letter, follow these points:-
- Use simple and effective language & avoid long and difficult words.
- Start each word with a margin on the left hand side.
- Leave space between individual sections and paragraphs.
- Write a letter in simple words and A4 size paper.
- Don’t make grammar and spelling mistakes.
- The main purpose of the letter should be concise, focused and clear.
Letter Writing Format Samples
Suggest: Letter Writing Format in English
Business letter Writing format Sample:
Q1. You are the librarian of St. Paul Senior Secondary School. You had placed an order for textbooks with Laxmi Pustak Bhandar. As the books did not arrive on time, you have decided to cancel the order. Write a letter to the Manager, Laxmi Pustak Bhandar, New Delhi, cancelling the order.
St. Paul Senior Secondary School 38, Dacha Road
New Delhi- 800048
M/s Laxmi Pustak Bhandar
23, Megha Road New Delhi- 800012
Subject: Cancellation of Our Order BK-99/121
Kindly refer to our above order dated 18 February, 20XX for various textbooks for our school students, in which the last date of delivery was 26th February, 20XX.
We regret that the ordered books have not been received.
As the new terms & condition of the school has started, we are forced to cancel the above order, as you have not complied with the delivery date as well as when you expect delivery of books. Kindly acknowledge receipt of this letter.
Business Letter Writing format Sample:
Q2. You are Subhangi/Shivam, Jawaharlal Navodaya Vidyalaya Hyderabad. Write a letter to the Sales executive, Sharma Electronics & Electrical, Hyderabad, placing an order for a few wall fans, LED tube-lights, geysers and microwave ovens that you desire to purchase for the hostel. Also inquire for the discount permissible on the purchase.
Jawaharlal Navodaya Vidyalaya
Hyderabad – 457159
07th June, 20XX
Sharma Electronics & Electrical
Subject: Compulsory Electronic Goods
As the new semester of the school is going to start next month, we would like you to provide the following electronics items in the school hostel in the initial time so that the students do not face any problem.
Item Brand Goods
Wall Fan Havells 23
LED Tube-lights Philips 38
Geysers Bajaj 06
Microwave ovens Godrej 04
Please dispatch the items on the school any day at before 5 pm. You are kindly requested to send the invoice after allowing exemption for schools.
Payment will be made after scrutiny by the hostel team of the school after receiving the goods .
Also, please ensure the value of the goods. If any defects are found in the goods, then the entire goods will be returned lacking any payment. For any question on your part, do not hesitate to contact the undersigned.
Letters to the editor format Sample:
Q3. You are Ankita/Ankit, 34 Mahima Road, Bangalore. Write a letter to the Editor times of India, during the busy times of day many stray animals are seen on the highway. These animals are becoming very fast causing accidents with traffic jams. Earlier, they have written to the authorities concerned, but no action has been taken so far.
34, Mahima Road,
15th August, 20XX
The Times of India,
Subject: Troubles Faced by Stray Animals
Through the columns of your esteemed daily, whenever I go through the highway, accidents of stray animals have often occurred there. Not a single day has happened, on which day the highway has not seen a jams, due to which the peoples from the stray animals on the highway.
These animals not only cause traffic jams, but also cause a large number of accidents. Three days before today I saw a monkey chasing a biker. A bike drove fast for fear of a monkey but an accident occurred. Yesterday, due to giving a traffic light signal, a bull chased a four-wheel vehicle from behind, causing heavy damage.
I have complained to the authorities many times but no action has been taken on their behalf. Those animals are proving to be a threat to themselves and to the common people. My request to the Municipal Commissioner, please solve this problem soon.
FAQ: Letter Writing Format in English Formal and Informal
Q1. What is formal letter?
Letters written for official purpose are known as formal letters such as write to collector, letter to the editor, manager and director etc.
Q2. What is Informal letter.
Letters written for personal purpose is know as informal letter such as family such as write to parents, siblings, friends, classmate and neighbors etc.
Q3. How many types of formal letter writing topics?
Many types of formal letter writing topics such as write a letter to the editor, business, official, job application resumes and write a letters for complaint in school etc.
There are presenting Letter writing format. It is the one of the best art for elders. Knowledge of grammar is very important to write a effective English or Hindi letter. For Every purpose written a different types of letter such as business letters, office letters, letters to the editor, letters for the job application.
Here you have learned how to write a letters, if there is any doubt related to letter writing format, then comment soon our experts will clear all your doubts.