Letter Writing Format – Writing an effective letter is an art that everyone can write a good letter. Nowadays, although telephone, fax, e-mail, social media, and other platforms have replaced personal (informal) letters.
Formal letters are still in circulation at the leading site. Commerce, trade, official correspondence, public representation, bank, complaints, and other dealings, transactions, and communication with people are still conducted through letters.
Therefore, it is imperative to try the art and skill of letter writing. The letter should always use simple and effective language so that the person receiving the letter can understand the feelings.
Types of Letter Writing Format
Different types of letters are written for various conferences. Some types of letters are included below.
- Business letters : Business Letters are written between one company to another or between such organizations and their customers or other external parties for much purpose like making enquiries/asking information, replying to enquiries/giving information, place order and sending replies, cancelling orders, registering complaints etc.
- Official letters : Official letters are written to inform offices, branches, subordinates for much purpose such as official complaint inquiries, requests / appeals, application forms, events, rules, regulations and procedures or other information.
- Letters to the editor : A letter to the editor is written primarily to be published in magazines and newspapers. Generally it’s highlighted social issues, political and economic interest (suggestions on issue of public interest and expressing views on an issue already raised in an article/write-up/ in a published letter).
- Letters of job application : A job letter has two types. One is a covering letter and the other is a bio-data. The Cover letter is written to discuss qualities and aptitude. Job letters include seekers as well as personal data such as name, address, qualifications and experiences. Bio-data mention personal experiences and achievements. It should be characteristic of all personal details in a specified format like qualifications, experience and references.
While Writing the Letter, I Must write eight things.
- Sender’s address
- Receiver’s name/designation and address
- The Subject of the letter
- Body of the letter
- Complimentary close
- Name/designation of the sender
Marks Distribution for Letter Writing Format
Letter writing comes from the grammar portion in the examination, in which a total of 6 marks will be awarded. Want to secure full marks in the exam, write attractive and creative in presenting ideas, and be careful not to exceed 120-150 words.
- Format: 1 mark (Sender’s address, Date, Receiver’s name/designation and address, Subject of the letter, Salutation, Complimentary close, Name/designation of the sender).
- Content: 3 marks (Introduction, main content, and conclusion).
- Expression: 2 marks (Grammatical accuracy, appropriate words, spellings Coherence, and relevance of ideas and style).
Tips for Letter Writing Format
To write a professional and attractive letter, follow these points:-
- Use simple and effective language & avoid long and complex words.
- Start each word with a margin on the left-hand side.
- Leave space between individual sections and paragraphs.
- Write a letter in simple terms and A4 size paper.
- Don’t make grammar and spelling mistakes.
- The primary purpose of the letter should be concise, focused, and straightforward.
Letter Writing Format Samples
Suggest: Letter Writing Format in English
Business letter Writing format Sample:
Q1. You are the librarian of St. Paul Senior Secondary School. You had placed an order for textbooks with Laxmi Pustak Bhandar. As the books did not arrive on time, you have decided to cancel the order. Write a letter to the Manager, Laxmi Pustak Bhandar, New Delhi, canceling the order.
St. Paul Senior Secondary School 38, Dacha Road
New Delhi- 800048
M/s Laxmi Pustak Bhandar
23, Megha Road New Delhi- 800012
Subject: Cancellation of Our Order BK-99/121
Kindly refer to our above order dated 18th February,20XX for various textbooks for our school students, in which the last date of delivery was 26th February,20XX.
We regret that the ordered books have not been received.
As the new terms & condition of the school has started, we are forced to cancel the above order, as you have not complied with the delivery date and when you expect delivery of books. Kindly acknowledge receipt of this letter.
Sample of Business Letter Writing Format
Q2. You are Subhangi/Shivam, Jawaharlal Navodaya Vidyalaya Hyderabad. Write a letter to the Sales executive, Sharma Electronics & Electrical, Hyderabad, placing an order for a few wall fans, LED tube lights, geysers, and microwave ovens that you desire to purchase for the hostel. Also, inquire about the discount permissible on the purchase.
Jawaharlal Navodaya Vidyalaya
Hyderabad – 457159
07th June, 20XX
Sharma Electronics & Electrical
Subject: Compulsory Electronic Goods
As the new semester of the school will start next month, we would like you to provide the following electronics items in the school hostel in the initial time so that the students do not face any problem.
Item Brand Goods
Wall Fan Havells 23
LED Tube-lights Philips 38
Geysers Bajaj 06
Microwave ovens Godrej 04
Please dispatch the items to the school any day before 5 pm. You are kindly requested to send the invoice after allowing an exemption for schools.
Payment will be made after scrutiny by the hostel team of the school after receiving the goods.
Also, please ensure the value of the goods. If any defects are found in the goods, we will return the entire goods without any payment. For any questions on your part, do not hesitate to contact the undersigned.
Letters to the editor format Sample:
Q3. You are Ankita/Ankit, 34 Mahima Road, Bangalore. Write a letter to India’s Editor times; many stray animals are seen on the highway during the day’s busy times. These animals are becoming very fast, causing accidents with traffic jams. Earlier, they have written to the authorities concerned, but no action has been taken so far.
34, Mahima Road,
15th August, 20XX
The Times of India,
Subject: Troubles Faced by Stray Animals
Through the columns of your esteemed daily, whenever I go through the highway, accidents of stray animals have often occurred there; not a single day has happened. On day highway has not seen a jam because of the homeless animals’ peoples on the route.
These animals not only cause traffic jams but also cause a large number of accidents. Three days before today, I saw a monkey chasing a biker. A bike drove fast for fear of a monkey, but an accident occurred. Yesterday, a bull chased a four-wheel vehicle from behind due to giving a traffic light signal, causing heavy damage.
I have complained to the authorities many times, but no action has been taken on their behalf. Those animals are proving to be a threat to themselves and the ordinary people. My request to the Municipal Commissioner, please solve this problem soon.
FAQ: Letter Writing Format In English Formal and Informal
Q1. What is a formal letter?
Letters written for official purposes are known as formal letters, such as writing to the collector, letters to the editor, manager, director, etc.
Q2. What is an Informal letter?
Letters written for personal purposes are known as informal letters such as family such as write to parents, siblings, friends, classmates, neighbors, etc.
Q3. How many types of formal letter writing topics?
Many types of formal letter writing topics include writing a letter to the editor, business, official, job application resumes, writing letters for complaints in school, etc.
They are presenting a Letter writing format. It is one of the best art for elders. Knowledge of grammar is essential to write a practical English or Hindi letter. For Every purpose, write a different letter such as business letters, official letters, letters to the editor, and letters for the job application.
Here you have learned how to write letters; if there is any doubt related to letter writing format, then comment soon, and our experts will clear all your doubts.