Precis writing format is one of the best art of summarizing any information in few words. It is very useful exercise which helps in boosting your writing and readability and improves your writing skills.
What is a Precis writing?
A precis is like a summary. It is the gist or main theme of a passage that is expressed in as few words as possible in one third of the original content. It should be short, concise, clear and well connected.
Importance of Precis writing format
Precis writing is a great exercise to improve your reading and writing ability. Forces you to pay attention to what you read and to express your idea clearly, concisely and effectively in fewer words. Due to which our focus greatly improves in English skills.
Read More –
How to write a Good Precis writing
While writing any good precis remember few essential points:
- Read the passage carefully to clearly understand it’s main theme or general meaning.
- Analyze the passage in detail and underline or highlight the necessary sentence phrase or word.
- Write a short and appropriate heading / title that expresses the main idea about the passage.
- Prepare a rough draft before finalization so that errors are left to revise and edit again for submission the final precis.
- Calculate the total number of words and precis one third of the total words
Essential Rules for Accurate Precis writing format (Do’s and Don’ts)
These are some essential rules that provide a lot to enhance your skills in English grammar and writing a suitably precis writing format:
- Don’t include personal thought and opinion.
- Avoid long and convoluted sentences.
- It must be written one third part of the original passage.
- It must be clear, concise and meaningful.
- It should be written in the writer’s own words.
- Double check spelling, grammar, idioms and punctuation errors.
- It written in indirect speech, third person and appropriate past tense.
- Don’t copy any words, sentences and line to try shortening passage.
Precis Writing Examples with Solutions
You can easily understand how to write a precis with for these best examples for any types of purposes like; UPSC, SSC, CGL, CHSL, ICSE, CBSE or other competitive exams.
Example: Write a precis of the following passage carefully and give a suitable title:
Trees play an important role in our lives. They give fruits, flowers, medicine and shade to others and when themselves stand in the sun and bear the scorching heat. They give free air which brings lots of benefits if there were no trees in our life, then this whole place would have become barren.
The character of some good people in our life is also like a tree. What is the use of this mortal body if it is not used for the benefit of mankind. The more the sandalwood girl is rubbed, the more the fragrance enhances. Similarly virtuous people do not lose their virtues and serve others from the heart regardless of their life. Does it matter whether they die in the moment or live a long life? No matter what happens, the one who walks on the right path does not set foot on anyone else.
For one who does not live for others, life itself is unprofitable. Living just to live one’s life is equivalent to living the life of dogs and crows. Those who lay down their lives for the sake of others will surely live in the world of bliss forever. Considering the importance and value of trees in our life, we should respect trees to save life and environment.
Life of Good People
The character of some good people in our life is also like a tree. Those people do not lose their virtues and serve others wholeheartedly regardless of their lives. For one who does not live for others, life itself is unprofitable. Living just to live one’s life is equivalent to living the life of dogs and crows. Those who sacrifice their lives for the sake of others will surely live in the world of bliss forever.
Now, you learned how to suitable precis writing format, best samples with answers. Thereby enhances your writing and learning skills in English Grammar. It is generally allotted in class CBSE / ICSE, UPSC, SSC and other competitive exams. If you have any problem with precis writing format, then you can provide information through comment.