Write a Letter to the Editor Format – Writing a letter to the Editor is one of the most prevalent topics of English writing skills. Every year questions come from this topic in CBSE/ICSE/State Board exams for class 10th, 11th and 12th.
Every student wants to score full marks in this subject but, they are not able to because it requires more attention to grammar section and understanding how to write letter to Editor correctly.
You don’t worry, in this notification you will learn completely for format of letter to Editor, the best example and how many marks will be awarded after writing a proper letter to the Editor.
Write a Letter to the Editor Format
What is a letter to the Editor?
The letter written to the Editor of the newspaper/magazine to highlight any social issue or problems is called letter to the editor, with the help of which the problem can be solved quickly.
Why is it significant to write a letter to the Editor format?
It plays an important role in our life, through newspapers people express their views/concerns/current issues etc. among all.
Letter to Editor is the part of formal letter.
Suggest: How to write an Informal letter?
Letter to the editor is mainly asked in CBSE/ICSE/State board examinations of class 10, 11 and 12th. Otherwise, learning a proper letter writing is very important for future correspondence.
How to write a letter to the Editor?
A proper format of letter to editor is written by following the eight elements.
1. Sender’s address
This dash covers the address of the editor in which you are writing the letter. It is very important to write the address of the residence/office.
Start writing all the elements with your left-hand side.
Write the date on which the letter is being submitted to the editor. This date should be precise as it focuses on several important points as a reference.
3. Receiver’s address
It should cover the office address of the editor along with the name of the organization to which it involves. Mostly it is given in the question, otherwise write according to you.
It addresses in short words for what purpose the letter has been written. So that the important points can be covered by the Editor. A suitable subject should be written in four to five words.
A salutation is a greeting used in a letter to the editor; usually, we use Sir/Madam/Mam or respected Sir/Madam.
Suggest: Notice writing format?
It is the main part of writing a letter to the editor format and divided into three paragraphs.
- Introduction – In this paragraph, introduce yourself and briefly mention the purpose of writing the letter.
- Main content – Mention all the necessary information and important details for the reason you are writing the letter to the editor.
- Conclusion – Try to write the last paragraph a little differently and mention what you expect from the Editor.
7. Complimentary closing
It is written on the left-hand side of the letter to express good wishes. It contains Thanking you, Your sincerely/truly in general terms.
8. Sender’s name
This is the last line of your letter, it has written after the complimentary close, which mentions the name of the sender.
Letter to the editor example for students of CBSE Class 10 & 12
Question: Write a letter to the editor of Times of India regarding creating awareness about health and hygiene among rural people. You are Rohan / Radhika of Jamshed Nagar, Sikkim.
15th December 20XX
The Times of India
Subject: Creating awareness about health and hygiene
Through your newspaper column, I would like to draw attention to the negligence of the people towards basic health and sanitation in our villages. Rural people are mostly illiterate and do not pay any attention to personal hygiene. As a result of this, the health of most of our rural people suffers from time to time. Due to which the people here are living on swinging from a lot of troubles.
The government should organize health camps where villagers can be made aware about the importance of cleanliness and how to avoid infection. Health check-up by experts can give them information about chronic diseases like heart attack, diabetes, cholera, jaundice etc. A small dispensary should be established in each village for their regular check-up. Villagers should be told about the importance of cleanliness.
Emphasis should be laid on the construction of individual toilets in each household and by the state agencies to help prevent open infection, which causes many diseases.
During summer and winter vacations, school volunteers visit different villages and tell them about the importance of personal hygiene and awareness about the many vaccinations.
I hope that through these efforts we can prove the health issues among our rural people.
Important Tips of Write a Letter to Editor Format
- Stick to the main point.
- A valuable letter should be concise, clear and do not make spelling mistakes.
- Try to write a subject – short and relevant topics as per the questions.
- Do not mention unnecessary details in the letter; This allows the audience to ignore the letter.
- The tone of a letter to the editor should greatly, from personal and amusing to formal and serious.
Practice Questions of Write a Letter to the Editor Format
Q1. You are Aman/Aarti of 14A, Darya Ghat, Punjab. Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper complaining about the poor water supply in your locality.
Suggest: Write a Report format?
Q2. Children are becoming increasingly ill due to the abundance of garbage and plastic around you, due to which people have to face a lot of problems. Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper highlighting the importance of cleanliness. You are Deepak/Deepti from B-78, Arya Colony, Maharashtra.
Q3. You are Danish/Divya of 14A, Darya Ghat, Punjab. Write a letter to the editor of “Hindustan Times” drawing attention to the consumption and sale of alcohol to the underage people even during prohibition in Bihar.
Suggest: How to write a Speech?
Q4. You are Anjali, a resident of 69-A, kautilya, Arunachal Pradesh. Write a letter to the editor of English daily newspaper requesting common people to adopt solar energy to save electricity and limit the electricity bill.
Q5. Write a letter in 150 to 200 words to the editor of New York times highlighting that people are becoming increasingly ill due to polluted water supply in your area, children are facing difficulty in leaving the house.
Letter to the Editor Topics for Class 10 & 12
- Write a letter to the editor of the newspaper on how to stop crime in the city.
- Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper highlighting the importance of cleanliness.
- Write a letter to the editor about the electricity problem in your locality.
- Write a letter to the editor on the topic bad roads in your locality.
- Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper about a road accident.
- Write a letter to the editor about evoking awareness for the use of solar energy.
- Write a short letter to the editor of a newspaper on reckless driving.
- Write a letter to the editor about the spreading of dengue in your locality.
- Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper about the way in which women’s issues are presented.
- Write a letter to the editor of a local newspaper complaining about the bad condition of roads.
FAQs: Write a Letter to the Editor Format
Q1. How do you write a letter to the editor?
Focus on these important guidelines for writing a letter to the editor:
- Choose a suitable topic about which the letter is being written.
- The letter was to be written in the correct way according to the editor’s format.
- Be sure to mention what you expect from the editor.
- The editor’s letter should pay attention to the length, tone and precise grammar of the letter.
- Your opening and closing sentences are very important. This will give the reader the value of the letter.
Q2. What is the format of writing a letter to the editor?
The format for writing a letter to the editor is given below –
Q3. What is the correct format of date in the letter to editor?
In order to write the correct format of the date, the letter to the editor will be written in this format.
- 15th December 20XX
Q4. In which part of the formal letter is the main point written?
There are 8 most important parts to writing a formal letter –
- Sender’s address
- Receiver’s address
- Body (main content of the letter)
- Complimentary closing
- Sender’s name
- Recommendation for Class 12th Examination: